Friday, August 30, 2013

What Might Have Been . . .

We will have been on our adoption journey for exactly a year tomorrow.  We came SO close this week to finally completing our family.  We were being considered for a stork drop situation, which means the baby was already born.  The birth mother ended up choosing another family though.  As hard as I tried not to get my hopes up, it was pretty much impossible.  The worst part was, I already felt a connection to this sweet baby girl.  I had never laid eyes on her, and had only just found out about her 24-hours earlier, but I really thought she was meant to join our family.

I was pretty upset last night when we found out that we hadn't been chosen.  It felt like once again we had a huge carrot dangled in front of us, only to have it snatched away at the last minute.  I couldn't understand why I would have felt such a strong connection if she was never meant to be ours.  Then it hit me.  While I NEVER want to try to replace Madelynn, nor would it EVER be possible, this baby girl represented a second chance for us.  She was born 3 weeks premature and would be spending a few weeks in the NICU. If we had been chosen to adopt her, we would have had an opportunity that we never got with Madelynn; we would have actually been able to bring our baby girl home from the NICU.  It would by no means have erased the pain and heartache we carry with us on a daily basis, and likely will until the day we die, but it might have helped heal the hole in our hearts just a tiny bit.

Shane and I both had already been trying to figure out the logistics as far as going to meet our new daughter. We were trying to decide whether it would be easiest to fly or drive.  We were both leaning towards driving as when you adopt out of state you have to worry about ICPC, which stands for Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children.  In a nutshell, the laws in the state that you're adopting from and the state you live in need to jive. The sending state needs to send paperwork to the receiving state who then needs to approve the adoption before you are allowed to go home. ICPC can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks Given the fact that we would need clothes and such for all four of us, plus all the paraphernalia that goes along with a newborn, we had pretty much figured that driving would be our best bet.

Shane had also called our insurance company to find out what we would need in order to add her to ensure she was covered.  While he was remaining calm and collected about the whole thing, I of course was already in panic mode.  Depending on when we would have been able to go meet her, Mason and I might have had to go alone as Shane wouldn't have been done with class for a few more weeks.  On top of that, we have barely any baby girl clothes aside from maybe a dozen preemie and newborn outfits. I was trying to figure out whether we should buy a bunch of stuff before we left or just wait until we got there and get everything. Needless to say, we were both pretty stressed out and anxious all day.

My heart still aches today and will likely do so for several more weeks.  We were certain that our precious miracle was within our grasp, but alas, she was meant to be someone else's miracle instead.  Until we are finally matched, I will be thinking about that sweet baby girl and wondering what might have been . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment